Taxpayer Documents Missing or Incorrect? Here’s what to do!

Taxpayer Documents Missing or Incorrect? Here’s what to do!

Missing or incorrect documents for tax preparation are the last thing you need to deal with when it’s crunch time. There are still options to get your taxes prepared even in unfavorable circumstances however.

Reach out to your employer or issuing agency for correct documentation.

Sometimes things slip through the cracks. While tax forms shouldn’t be one of them, it is within your rights to request the proper documents needed for filing taxes. Mail can be misplaced or lost in transit, so stay diligent at collecting and going through your mail daily.

When going to request a new copy of the form you’re missing, make sure to notify the company or individual of the urgency and stay on top of the request. This goes for both individuals that do not have documentation and those that receive incorrect documentation.

Request an Extension to File.

Requesting an extension can be done by relaying this information to your accountant or by following the steps provided on the IRS website. Requesting an extension to file should be your last resort if you’re unable to provide an estimate that is at or about the same as what your missing or inaccurate documentation states with IRS Form 4852.

Tax Document Checklist

While additional documentation may be needed for individuals filing, the following list includes the basic information you will need to file:

  • Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
  • Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income
  • Form 1099-INT, Interest Income
  • Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation
  • Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments; like unemployment compensation or state tax refund
  • Letter 6419, 2021 Total Advance Child Tax Credit Payments
  • Letter 6475, Your 2021 Economic Impact Payment