Today’s clients are mobile, often traveling, moving, working, or vacationing out-of-state and abroad. Some are married, while others get married far from home. At tax time, it is left to the savvy practitioner to determine the treatment of income and expenses resulting from spousal property subject to a community property regime applicable in nine US states and many foreign countries. If you are working with nomadic taxpayers, this course is a MUST!
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand that community property arises by operation of law.
- Recognize that community property laws can help to protect the rights of women.
- Distinguish between community and separate property.
- Use the taxpayer’s domicile to properly determine whether acquired property is subject to an applicable community property regime.
- Offer relief from community property laws to certain taxpayers with the application of IRC §879.allocations.
This course is presented by Monica Haven. Monica is an enrolled agent with J.D. and LL.M. degrees in law and taxation. She is a nationally recognized speaker and a sought-after guest lecturer at many college campuses and professional organizations. With three decades of experience and a tax practice which serves clients throughout the world Monica loves to share her knowledge and insights.
This course counts for 2 hours of IRS CE under the category of Federal Tax Law Related Matters.